Monday, November 28, 2005

Car Trouble

Over the thanksgiving weekend, I drove up to Canada to visit my parents. (Thanksgiving and Christmas is about the only time I see them...) So on the way there, the weather was sorta bad... but I made it OK, once I got out from under the Lake Effect. I was heading home on Sunday afternoon, and I'm cruisin' along with my cruise on, and my tunes when suddenly, the car shudders a bit, and then I start slowing down...
Thankfully, I am close to an on ramp, so I can pull over and not be directly in the path of on-coming traffic. Then, since I don't have AAA, or anything else, but my cell phone still works, I call 911 (I know it wasn't an emergency, but what else do you do?) I am still in Canada (actually only an hour into a 6 hour trip) so this super nice Canadian trooper pulls up behind me (after a sorta tense and cold wait) and after taking my info (why? It wasn't like it was an accident...) and then he calls a tow truck. The tow truck guy (Ed) is also super nice, and gets me pulled back to the nearest Canadian Tire (18 miles back) which results in a rather steep towing charge...) He wants cash, and I don't carry that much, so I mosey on over to Canadian Tire to see if they can give me a cash advance.
I hear from the cashier lady that I have to buy something first, so I pick out a set of tie straps (always handy to have around) and wait in line at the checkout. When I get to the cashier, she tells me that she can only advance me half of what I need... so I ask her if there is an ATM around. She says there probably is one in the gas station.
I jog over to the gas station (remember, my tow truck man is still waiting) and don't see any ATM... I ask the gas station attendant, and he tells me that their is a bank across the street. I learned from him the actual meaning of kitty corner, as I have to cross the street twice. I walk up to the drive-up ATM, and get my cash, and then jaywalk back across the street, and back to Canadian Tire. By this time Ed has gotten bored of sitting around, so the Canadian Tire guys page him.
"Tow Truck driver to the service desk"
He hasn't wandered far thankfully. I slip him the hard-earned wad from the ATM, and he is on his way. By this time, it is 4:45 and once I finally get to talking to a service guy, they are closing up shop. I guess I am lucky they were open at all...
I called my Mom and Dad, and they give me the number of the closest relative. I call my Uncle, and he picks me up a bit later. Super good family... they open their house to me and let me crash on the couch.
So now I am just waiting for Canadian Tire to call me and let me know what is up with the car...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home