Saturday, April 22, 2006

Dollars per gallon (or the silly cost of living...)

If you click on the header of this post, you will be taken to a Google search that uses Google's amazingly useful unit handling calculator built into their search engine to tell you what I pay per mile I drive. (I love my toyota... 36 mpg yeah!... and it isn't even a hybrid) For all you poor saps with old domestic beaters... well why don't you tell me how much it sux. Here's what you do.
  1. Reset your trip meter next time you fill up (assuming it works..).
  2. Drive for a while.
  3. Note what the trip meter says the very next time you fill up.
  4. Note how many gallons you bought.
  5. Replace the 372.9 miles with the number on the trip meter.
  6. Replace the 10.334 gallons with the number of gallons you bought.
  7. Click Search.
What comes back is how many cents per mile driving costs (I got 8 cents per mile). Then you can multiply by the number of miles you drive in a week (currently 300 for me), and you can find out how much it costs to maintain the American love affair with the automobile... (I got $24.941)
All this figgerin' is assuming the cost of gas is $3/gallon. Adjust that part as you wish.
Perhaps these prices will finally get public transportation properly funded in America! But still... we need a better energy source than oil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home